Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Song Of The Day "Steppin Stone" by The Monkees

I was up yesterday prowling around the Internet when I came across a picture of an ugly statue someone had posted on Facebook. For some reason I thought of "Billericay Dickie" an old song by Ian Dury. It contains this gem of advice "Never hold a candle if you don't know where it's been" Ian was a lovely English chap who had a brief bit of fame during the punk years during the late 1970's and earl 80's, he died in 2000.

Anyway I spent a good part of the day humming bits  of the song to myself. That got me thinking about other old songs I hadn't thought about in awhile. Then the idea came about a song of the day blog posting. Which brings us to this point. Welcome to the first entry of what we will try and make a daily posting.

Today's song is "(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone" by the Monkees. A song by written by Boyce & Hart and first recorded by Paul Revere & The Raiders. It was the B side of the "I'm A Believer" single and reached number #20 on the Billboard charts. Here's The Monkees version.



And this is Paul Revere & The Raiders take on it.

Over the years a lot of folk have covered the tune my favorite is by The Sex Pistols.

Oh and here's that Ian Dury song that started the ball rolling. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment