Friday, April 1, 2016

Gangsters, Bishops, Artillery Pieces & A Ghost Story My Trip To Mt. Carmel Cemetery

Over the past couple of years I have walked through many of the Chicago areas cemeteries. It started as a favor for one of my viewers who had left Chicago for Florida and wanted to take a walk down memory lane by seeing a video of St. Boniface on Chicago's north side. I was never a big cemetery person but I found the experience very peaceful, enjoyable and it was filled with great art. So over the course of the next couple of years I've been to a half dozen other boneyards.

Recently I made a bike trip of three or four miles to Mt. Carmel in Hillside.The cemetery is the oldest Roman Catholic cemetery in the area. It is bounded by the Eisenhower expressway, I-294, Roosevelt Rd and Wolf Rd. There are bigger and more beautiful burial grounds in the area but this one has the oddest assortment of memorials.






It has the Bishops Mausoleum a structure is the final resting place for 18 of the areas bishops & archbishops.


As strange as it may seem it also houses the area's largest collection of gangster gravesites. You'll find famous hoodlums like Al Capone, Sam Giancana, Dion O'Banion and Frank Nitti as well as a slew of lesser thugs and killers.


There is a war memorial that includes four pieces of field artillery.

And there is the strange case of the Italian Bride, a body that wouldn't decompose.


No comments:

Post a Comment