Friday, June 5, 2015

BB King “Why I Sing The Blues” Briefcase Of Blues Pt. 2

A friend of mine recently gave me a briefcase containing 120 blues cassettes tonight we are making another excursion into it and posting about one of the tapes. Tonight we are listening to the late B.B. Kings album “Why I Sing The Blues”. This is a collection of recordings BB made for the ABC label in the late 1960's & 70's during his commercial heyday.



Now I'm not a huge BB King fan he's a legend and all but he never did much for me. So listening to this tape is as much much as I've done previously. And now I know why while there some good cuts on here like The Thrill Is Gone a lot of it is pretty average stuff and some cuts like Hummingbird suck. A lot of it is overproduced with horns and strings and BB doesn’t really put much into his delivery. Let's just say I'm not buying what he's selling.

Hey out of 120 tapes i'm not going to like all of them and it would be boring just to review the ones I like. Now I did go out and look for some live BB King videos to see if I could appreciate him more away from the studio. Blues in general is a lot better live thanin the studio Mr. King is no exception. While my overall opinion of him still stands I did find some decent live recordings. Here's a couple of clips including one where BB is sharing the stage with one of the true bluesmasters T-Bone Walker.

From 1968 "I've Got a Mind to Give Up Living"



With T-Bone Walker "Sweet Sixteen"





If you would like to take a look inside this briefcase full of blues here's a look inside.


You will find some live blues clips on our ChiTownSoundz YouTube station 

And to get the full MindsiMedia experience visit our web page.

No comments:

Post a Comment