Sunday, May 12, 2013

Summertime And The Living Is Easy, A Playlist & A Story

So here we are on a Saturday morning in mid May in Chicago  when it should be glorious out. What we have is a cold overcast day that just screams at you "Stay Inside!!!". So I am going through my vast backlog of emails. One of my recent Twitter follows is a jazz man by the name of Philippe Saisse and one of recent tweets is his version of one of my all time favorites the Gershwin classic "Summertime" from Porgy & Bess.

I'm listening to it it's a great version and  I start thinking of all the other versions of it out there I like. The only thing to do is make a playlist and gather them together. So that's how I spent a cool gray Saturday morning. By the time I'd assembled thirty or so the weather had gotten better and it was time to go look for a Mothers Day present.

Here's a little background on the tune and a couple of samples from the list.

Searching for Summertime, BBC Four: a documentary on Gershwin's masterpiece

From the Telegraph By James Maycock


"It seems that everybody knows the song. It’s a composition that has transcended age, race and nationality. Today, there are thousands of recorded cover versions in existence. But aside from those huge numbers, it has become one of the most loved songs in the world, conjuring up in each new listener an ideal image or memory of summer.
As playwright and author Bonnie Greer observes in the documentary, “Everybody has got a summertime somewhere.” There’s magic in the tune, and that’s why I wanted to make a documentary about it – to explore Summertime’s bittersweet mysteries."

To read the entire post click here.






No comments:

Post a Comment