Saturday, January 5, 2013

My Top 5 California Songs

I was driving around Chicago on a freezing Friday morning heading towards the south side when I heard the Red Hot Chili Peppers song “Californication”. 




It's one of my favorite songs and a great California song. Which got me thinking of other musical gems about the sunshine state and what would be my top five.


Right away I mean are kidding “on such a winters day” the Mama's & Pappa's hit from 1966 California Dreaming was the automatic number one in my book. It is listed on the Rolling Stones top 500 all time songs but was never a #1 hit with it's highest position only #4. The album it was on created a controversy at the time as it was the first cover to show a toilet. It was quickly removed by the label following protests. Here's a clip that has the best sound quality that I found.





The rest are in no particular order



The Doors “LA Woman” is another classic and it is also one of the greatest driving songs of all time.




I'm not a big fan of the Eagles in general but they do have a few good songs. Hotel California is probably their best and deserves a spot on our list.







The last choice was a tough one I wanted a San Francisco song and wasn't sure to go with Tony Bennet doing “I Left My Heart In San Francisco” or Scott Mc Kenzie's “If Your Going To San Francisco” and the winner is. Tony here is a nice version from a 1982 Tonight Show appearance.











So that's the list, any suggestions? I know how could I have a top five California list with no Beach Boys ?

No comments:

Post a Comment